Wednesday, May 19

A bit of a quandry...

OK, I need to write this out to try and help me come to a descision.

As I've mentioned before I have fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed 12 years ago and whilst I generally get on with life, occasionally, it knocks me flat. Moreso now I'm over 40. There isn't a day where I'm pain free, but some days are a lot easier than others. If I do a bit too much, I'm buggered for a couple of days and have to take it really easy and loads of painkillers.

Now, on to my quandry.

I haven't been employed since I went on maternity leave 5 years ago. I'm happy to be at home and look after Isabelle, and we can manage (just) financially. I have been going in to Isabelle's school one day a week and helping out in her class. Her teacher approached me a while ago and told me how much they enjoyed me working in the class with them. They love my working methods and how I am with the kids, and how much the kids enjoy me being there. All very flattering and made me feel good.

Yesterday I was approached when I picked Isabelle up from school and asked to apply for a job of classroom assistant as the one they currently have is going on maternity leave at the end of term. They want me to cover her job for her, with a possible long term job if she decides not to come back. The job is part time, which would suit me better than full time, but can my body cope with it? I'm not sure how many hours a week (I forogot to ask! doh!). I'm not sure if I could cope with working a full day in a class of 4 and 5 year olds. My hips and back give up after a while if I'm on my feet all the time. I suppose I should ask about the hours really. 

I always worked in childcare while my elder two kids were little, and although my qualifications aren't up to date (as in NVQ's) I do have an NVQ3 in Business Admin from when I was an Office Manager. I have been told though, that for classroom assistant, experience counts more than paper qualifications. Apparently a glowing report has already been put forward by Isabelle's two teachers and the current classroom assistant to the head teacher of the school, which is really nice. I just need to decide whether my body will cope and should I put the application in this afternoon when I go in to help out or not. I suppose it wouldn't hurt. And if I do get the job, it is only temporary and if I can't cope physically, I can tell them. Afterall, I might just be fine.

There see... writing it down did help. 


  1. themadhouse9:58 PM

    How exciting. I would love a TA position, but remember it is your body and your decision

  2. I would go for it. As you say, if it doesn't work out you can resign. If you pass the chance by, you may always wonder "what if...?"
    They say we always regret the things we don't do more than the things we do!

  3. I think you should give it a go - it's a great opportunity and if you can't manage it, so be it but you won't know unless you try.