Tuesday, March 29

My new little boy

One of the other reasons I've been so busy lately is that we have adopted Charley, a terrier / whippet cross from the animal rescue centre. Charley was found on the streets in Lancashire somewhere and was put on death row because no one would take him in. Our local rescue centre took him in and saved him from his imminent death. I saw his photograph online. Not a great photograph, but his little face pleaded with me to give him a home. Can you see why?


My hubby kept saying if we were to have a dog we should get a German Shepherd. But it would be too big for our house, for me to walk the dog and waaaay too much fur to groom and keep him clean. So I kept emailing the above photo to him at work saying.. awww look at his little face. He wants to come and live with us. He said we could go and see him. So off we all went, including 20 yr old son and his girlfriend in tow. 

He was brought out to us. He wasn't too over excited but he was interested and had a waggy tail. We took him for a walk up the lane to see how he behaved on the lead. He was good. Isabelle fell in love with him straight away, and he loved her too. We had a chat and Mark agreed we could adopt him. After the home suitability check, we brought him home. He settled in straight away. He has been with us since the 1st of February. I've been working hard on training him to do what we ask and on the whole, it's going very well. I also started taking him to obedience lessons. The biggest issue we have is his anxiety in a room full of other dogs. Outside on the field when we're walking, he's fine. But in a room full of dogs, he barks like mad. But after 6 weeks of classes this is almost under control. He is a lovely dog and is part of our family even after being with us for so few weeks. He's put weight on and we can no longer see his ribs. But the nicest thing of all (apart from him taking to me and is definately my dog.. I'm his stability) is that he and Isabelle love each other so much. He does what she asks him, and often lay on the floor together cuddling. It's lovely.

Best Friends


My much more confident Charley


Oh and the wonky ear is permanently wonky LOL. It never stands up. I assume he must have been in a fight when he was on the streets as he does have a piece missing, but the ear never stands straight.. That's just Charley and we love his quirk

2 comments:

  1. He is adorable - Charleys (or Charlies!) make the BEST dogs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore that quirky ear! He is a lucky dog t have a super home with you all.

    ReplyDelete